A turducken is a delectable dish that consists of a whole chicken stuffed into a duck, which in turn is stuffed into a turkey. This delicious dish originated from Louisiana and has been popularized by television shows like Iron Chef America. Turduckens are typically served at family gatherings and they’re the perfect centerpiece for any holiday dinner.
Turducks have been around since 1974 when Cajun chef Paul Prudhomme created this recipe in his restaurant K-Paul’s Louisiana Kitchen. What makes it so unique is that you use every part of the bird to create one spectacular meal – not just the meaty parts but also the skin, bones, heart, gizzard (a type of stomach), liver and other.
Editor’s Recommendation: Top 5 Best Turduckens
Top 10 Best Turduckens Reviews
1. 10 lb Louisiana Crawfish Co Turducken
Turkey that has been partially deboned and packed with boneless chicken, duck, and mouthwatering classic cornbread. Serves 10-15 people Thawing Turducken must be completely thawed before being cooked. Remove from box, place in vacuum-sealed bag, and thaw in refrigerator for 48 hours or in cold water for 6-8 hours for optimum results.
Remove from the bag before cooking. Bake at 325°F for 3 hours, then uncovered for 30 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165°F, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan. Allow for a 20-minute cooling period to seal in the juices.
Take off the netting. Wings and drumsticks should be sliced off. Cut 1/2-inch cuts across the top and bottom, then down the middle. Turkey, cornbread (niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid], partially hydrogenated soybean oil, sugar, buttermilk solids, salt, sodium monocalcium phosphate, mono and diglycerides, egg whites, natural flavor), chicken, duck, pork, water, milk, onions, salt, green peppers, celery, liquid egg, chicken base (chicken, salt, maltodextrin, food starch-mod MILK, EGG, WHEAT, AND SOY ALLERGENS.
2. Steve’s Real Food Freeze-Dried Raw Nuggets
- Raw Meals on the Go, Freeze Dried
- Raw Goat’s Milk is added to make it more nutritious.
- Free Range, Vegetarian Fed
- Hormone-free and antibiotic-free
- Nuggets that are simple to rehydrate, pour, and serve.
What’s in the food you’re eating? We prepare Steve’s with the following ingredients to offer your dog or cat with the natural proteins, antioxidants, enzymes, vitamins, and minerals they require: For rich sources of lean protein, the greatest grade hormone- and antibiotic-free raw beef on the market.
For natural vitamins and anti-carcinogenic effects, eat fresh, pesticide-free raw fruits and vegetables. Omega-3, 6, and 9 fatty acids are found in functional foods such as cod liver oil, coconut oil, and flaxseed. Kelp and sea salts are good sources of trace minerals.
3. Merrick Grain Free All Breed Sizes Canned Wet Dog Food
- Merrick Grain Free Wet Dog Food Turducken (12) 12.7 oz Cans
- Turducken Merrick Grain-Free Wet Dog Food
- The first component is deboned turkey.
- Real deboned duck and chicken are also included in grain-free canned dog food.
- Sweet potatoes, carrots, green beans, and granny smith apples are among the other natural components.
Grain-Free Merrick Wet Dog Food The first component of a Turducken is always deboned, USDA-inspected turkey. Duck and chicken are among the first five ingredients in this real meat dog food recipe.
Sweet potatoes, carrots, green beans, and granny smith apples, among other natural ingredients, add nutritional goodness and variety to your dog’s diet. A flavorful dog food gravy created with turkey and chicken broth gives everyday meals even more taste and moisture.
This adult dog food with veggies includes no artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, or by-products to fulfill your dietary needs. Use this Merrick wet dog food as a supplement to your dog’s dry kibble or as a nutritious meal on its own.
Preparing your dog’s dinner is simple and quick thanks to a handy pull-tab can. This Turducken dish, like all Merrick recipes, was created in our Hereford, TX kitchen and prepared in the United States.
4. Bark Bistro Company, Turducken Slobber Stix
- 20 genuine ingredients in 8 oz. pork jerky six chewy chewy chewy chewy chewy chewy chewy chewy.
- THERE ARE ONLY FIVE INGREDIENTS: duck, turkey, vegetable glycerin, rosemary extract, and natural smoke.
- ALLERGENS: Gluten-free, wheat-free, grain-free
- ANALYSIS WITH A GUARANTEE: 30 percent protein (minimum) (MIN) 10% fat, 10% fat, 10% fat, 10% fat, 10% fat, 10% fat, 10% (MAX) 2% fiber, 2% dietary fiber, 2% dietary fiber, 2% (MAX) Moisture content: 22%.
- FEEDING INSTRUCTIONS – Treat / Supplemental Feeding.
Bark Bistro Company, Turducken Slobber Stix. A dog chew made with 8 ingredients and without any fillers or other questionable ingredients. A standard size Slobber Stick is 3″ long, 1″ wide and 1/2″ thick and weighs about 8 ounces.
Guaranteed Analysis: Protein (min) 30%, Fat (max) 10%, Fibre (max) 2%, Moisture (max) 22%. This product complies with the specifications governing the labeling of pet foods and these ingredients are approved by the AAFCO. The FDA has not evaluated this product for the above statements.
5. Merrick Power Bites Turducken Recipe
- All-Natural Ingredients of Superior Quality
- Made in the United States of America
- Gluten-Free + Grain-Free
- There is no corn, wheat, or soy in this diet.
- Excellent Flavor
Merrick Power Bites are delectable, power-packed treats that provide a punch of flavor in every mouthful, making them ideal for training and rewarding your dog. Merrick Power Bites are unequaled in good-for-you quality and taste, with industry-leading quantities of protein in every bite. For a delectable nibble with added nutrition from healthful veggies and fruits, real deboned beef is the No. 1 ingredient and single source of protein. Real deboned beef, potatoes, peas, potato protein, and potato starch are the first five ingredients.
Merrick Power Bites are all-natural, grain-free, and gluten-free, with no corn, soy, wheat, or sorbic acid, unlike most soft and chewy treats. Merrick Power Bites are created in the United States with few ingredients and do not contain any Chinese components. Merrick Power Bites are naturally nutritious and delightful ways to reward your energetic buddy.
6. Creole Food Turducken
- Turducken Turducken Turducken Turducken Turducken Turducken Turducken Turducken Turducken Turdu
- Instructions for Thawing: Thaw the Turducken Roll fully before cooking. Remove from box, place in vacuum-sealed bag, and thaw in refrigerator for 48 hours or in cold water for 4-6 hours for optimum results.
- Instructions for Cooking: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the contents of the bag. In a roasting pan, place the Turducken Roll on a rack. Bake for 2 hours and 30 minutes, or until an internal temperature of 165°F is reached. Allow 20 minutes for the Turducken Roll to cool and seal in the juices. Remove the netting and slice the meat.
- Due to Covid’s delivery restrictions, all Turducken orders are dispatched via FedEx Express (ONLY).
- To ensure on-time delivery, frozen shipments are processed on Monday and Tuesday.
- Any orders placed on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday will be handled on the Monday following.
The Turducken is a delectable half deboned turkey with attached bone-in wings and legs. A full boneless duck and a whole boneless chicken are placed into the turkey. The creole pork and cornbread are then put between each layer.
The turducken is seasoned, frozen, and vacuum packed before being served. The Turducken requires no preparation other than thawing it and placing it in the oven. It’ll undoubtedly become a family favorite!
10 pound unit Approximately 15-20 people Thawing Turducken must be completely thawed before being cooked. Remove from box, place in vacuum-sealed bag, and thaw in refrigerator for 48-72 hours or in cold water for 6-8 hours for optimum results.
Instructions for Cooking: Remove the contents of the bag. Bake at 325°F for 3 hours, then uncovered for 30 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165°F, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan.
Allow for a 20-minute cooling period to seal in the juices. Take off the netting. Wings and drumsticks should be sliced off. Cut 1/2-inch cuts across the top and bottom, then down the middle.
Turkey, chicken, duck, cornbread (enriched white and yellow cornmeal [niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid], partially hydrogenated soybean oil, sugar, buttermilk solids, salt, sodium monocalcium phosphate, mono and diglycerides, egg whites, natural flavor], pork, water, milk, onions, salt, green peppers, celery, liquid egg, chicken base (chicken, salt, liquid egg, liquid MILK, EGG, WHEAT, AND SOY ALLERGENS
7. 15 pound NolaCajun Turducken with Traditional Cornbread Dressing
- The NolaCajun Turducken weighs 15 to 16 pounds.
- Approximately 20 to 30 persons can be fed.
The rich cornbread filling is our standard stuffing. We have brought conventional cornbread to a much greater level. You will be shocked how moist the stuffing will be when it is done. The stuffing is also created using fresh eggs, cheese, onions, corn oil, milk, cornmeal and creamed corn.
8. Vital Cat Freeze-Dried Grain Free Turducken
- WHO DOESN’T LOVE FRESH DUCK LIVER! freeze-dried duck liver treats are purr-ific for your furry family member, they will love you even more.
- HAVE A HEART!! YOU WANT YOUR PET TO HAVE THE VERY BEST, DON’T YOU? Our Chicken Hearts, single ingredient treats made from pure, raw freeze-dried chicken hearts, that’s it, just chicken hearts!
- SIMPLY SERVE AS IS: A HOLIDAY FEAST EVERY DAY: our Turkey Mini Nibs are made with free run turkey meat, bones and organ meat, plus, these crunchy bites are easy to feed – no need to add water.
- LIMITED INGREDIENT TREAT: the purr-fect treat for your persnickety feline! Prepared from pure, raw, Duck Liver and Chicken Hearts!
- Gluten Free AND Grain Free
The products from Vital Essentials are jam-packed with essential nutrients. Animals, like people, benefit from fresh food. Raw food, which contains antioxidants, vitamins, enzymes, amino acids, minerals, and phytochemicals, is the most natural ingredient in an animal’s diet; these are the building blocks of a healthy, vigorous life!
9. Blue Buffalo Family Favorites Natural Adult Wet Dog Food
- REAL CHICKEN FIRST: To support healthy muscle maintenance, this grain-free wet dog food contains high-quality protein from real chicken, turkey, and duck.
- BLUE FAMILY FAVORITE RECIPE: FEED THREE WAYS Adult dog food is a tasty treat that may be added to their favorite dry meals or served as a meal on its own.
- ALL BLUE CANNED DOG FOODS ARE MADE WITH THE HIGHEST QUALITY NATURAL INGREDIENTS and are fortified with vitamins and minerals.
- BLUE wet dog food has no chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, maize, wheat (a frequent thickening ingredient used by other brands), or soy, as well as no artificial flavors or preservatives.
- BLUE Family Favorites Natural Adult Wet Dog Food, Turducken, comes in twelve (12) 12.5-oz cans.
BLUE Family Favorite Recipes are the finest way to serve your closest buddy like family, and they’re the next best thing to home cooking. This dish comprises the finest natural ingredients supplemented with vitamins and minerals, including real chicken as the first component, turkey, duck, and nutritious garden vegetables in a thick sauce.
It’s also designed to suit the nutritional needs of adult dogs. Our Family Favorite wet dog food recipes are produced with high-quality protein from genuine meat to provide your dog the energy he needs to live an active life.
The name may be a touch amusing, but it’s Southern-style cooking at its finest, and a once-in-a-lifetime feast for the whole family, according to those who have tried it.
Now your dog can appreciate the savory goodness of this unique blend of turkey, duck, and chicken, as well as delicious vegetables to round out the meal. Turducken is made out of just the best natural ingredients: Peas, potatoes, and carrots, as well as real chicken, turkey, and duck
10. Merrick Lil Plates Small Breed Natural Grain Free Dog Treats
- Merrick Lil’ Plates Teensy Turducken Recipe – One (1) 5 oz Pouch Dog Treats for Small Breeds
- Teensy Turducken Recipe from Merrick Lil’ Plates Dog Treats for Small Breeds
- The first component in these grain-free little dog treats is deboned turkey.
- Small breed dogs will love these healthy, natural dog treats in a range of fascinating shapes.
- Grain-free dog snacks with prebiotic fiber for better digestion and Omega fatty acids for skin and hair health.
Teensy Turducken Recipe from Merrick Lil’ Plates Small Breed Dog Treats are flavorful and protein-rich, but they’re small enough for your dog’s tiny mouth. Real deboned turkey is always the first ingredient in these Merrick dog treats, along with a variety of healthy vegetables.
These natural, healthy dog treats are formulated exclusively for small breed dogs and available in a variety of fascinating designs, all of which are ideally proportioned for smaller breeds.
These adult dog treats are made with prebiotic fiber for improved digestion and Omega fatty acids for skin and coat health support, making them the ideal dog treats for skin and coat health support.
There are no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives in these soft dog treats. These grain-free and gluten-free turkey, duck, and chicken dog treats are guaranteed to be a hit with your pooch. All Merrick recipes are created in Merrick’s kitchen in Hereford, Texas, and prepared in the United States.
Things to consider before buying the best Turduckens
You can’t buy turkeys easily. There are many options to choose from. Following these tips will inspire you to prepare the best roast turkey ever this year.
Regular frozen turkeys are almost as tasty as heritage, free-range, and fresh turkeys, according to our culinary lab tests. You can find frozen turkeys more easily and for a lower price. A self-basting turkey can be brined without the pain of injecting broth into it.
To figure out what size turkey to buy, calculate that half a pound of raw turkey equals one pound cooked. To ensure that most people are satisfied with half an ounce (8 ounces) of turkey or less, buy enough turkey. You may want to add a few extra pounds in case leftovers are going to be an issue.
Frozen turkeys are available most of the time. Planning ahead is essential when it comes to thawing. Fresh and frozen turkeys had the same flavor. The size of the frozen bird could be customized, unlike the fresh bird which was not always possible.
For a “fresh” turkey, its temperature needs to be cooled to around 24–26 degrees after processing. Due to this, they are somewhat frozen. This method of freezing turkeys results in a very hard surface. This characteristic is not present in non-frozen turkeys. A meat case in your store softens the surface as it sits. Furthermore, fresh turkeys tend to be smaller than those that are frozen. If you put great importance on size, the fresh option may not be right for you.
In order to qualify for the USDA “free-range” designation, an animal only needs access to the outdoors. What they are fed and how they live doesn’t affect that (such as confined pens). The turkey we roasted was tasty, but lackluster, with no flavor and inconsistent meat.
Using a regular grocery store turkey will give you better value for your money, according to our study. The turkeys are more juicy and flavorful than free-range turkeys, and they cost almost a dollar less per pound.
These turkeys are injected with water, broth, sugar, salt, and vegetable oil, which are then cooked in the oven. Butter is sometimes stuffed under the skin. There is a noticeable difference between these chickens in terms of juice content (especially when carving). In addition, the solution enhances the flavor of the turkey.
If you wish to avoid excess handling, you can purchase a turkey that is naturally basted without artificial coloring or ingredients. The term “natural” simply means that no additional ingredients have been used in the preparation of the turkey. Raised this way, turkeys are identical to those raised in standard conditions. Ensure that the labels are correct as well. Although natural brands have grown in popularity, many products remain flavored with natural elements, such as salt, sugar, and water.
frequently asked questions On Turduckens
1. A TURDUCKEN IS WHAT?
A whole turkey stuffed with duck, chicken, and Italian sausage stuffing, bundled into a whole one, is created by Echelon Foods (of the Teja Food Group). It is an easy, tasty meal that takes less time to prepare than a roast, and it serves 12-15 people
2. Is ECHELON FOODS turkey available anywhere?
It has become easier to find our turduckens, as more distributors carry them. Get a piece of the meat from your local grocery store’s meat department ahead of time. Check out the Where to Buy section for more information.
3. DROPPINGS FROM A TURDUCKEN CAN BE TURDY?
Although our Italian sausage turducken usually has more drippings than our leaner Apple Chicken, both will provide enough gravy for your favorite dish. If you need more gravy than the drippings can yield, you may want to keep a package of gravy mix on hand. That way, you can use it if the drips aren’t enough.
4. When should I fry my turkey for the longest possible time?
No, we recommend it! No one has succeeded in deep frying a turducken despite our efforts. As there is no cavity to catch the oil, what will always happen is that the outside of the turducken will burn but the inside will remain raw. There is no need to try this.
5. What is the gluten-free status of your turkeys?
No, I do not. The bread cubes in the stuffing are mixed with the sausages. As well as testing new gluten-free formulations, Echelon Foods continues to seek ways to maintain Turducken’s great taste while producing gluten free versions.
Turduckens are a turkey, duck and chicken all shoved into one big bird. There’s no question that it sounds disgusting, but the taste is absolutely amazing! I’m not sure how people came up with this idea in the first place, but they’re delicious nonetheless.
My favorite recipe has been passed down for generations – just like my grandmother used to make them back when she was still alive. It includes stuffing both sides of a whole turkey with slices of bread soaked in butter or margarine (although some recipes call for milk), then adding layers of chopped onions mixed with salt and pepper on top before covering it again with more bread crumbs than you would think necessary. The other side gets an equal amount of onion mixture.