When you have a large item to roast to perfection, the best roasting pan is a necessity. In case you’re new to kitchen stuff, a roasting pan is an oven-safe dish that has a rack inside. You place your meat on that rack, put it in the microwave oven, and wait for it to create a scrumptious main course.
The rack in the best roasting pans ensures that the meat is roasted on all sides, just the way we like it. The space below the rack also catches all those delicious drippings so you can make the gravy. The result is a soft, juicy meal that you and your guests can easily enjoy without much hassle.
Depending on what you’re roasting and how often you need it, investing in the right roasting pan could turn your cooking experience around. If you’re unsure of how to choose the best roasting pan, you should check out the top choices below:
Top Picks : 5 Best Roasting Pan
Hunting For That Perfect Roaster: How To Choose One like A Chef
If you’re ready to get the best roasting pan that will make you feel like a bonfire chef, don’t worry – you’ll get there in no time! Before you book the first likely pan that comes across your screen, you should take the following factors into consideration:
First of all, the size will let you know whether it’s the best roasting pan for you or not. When you have a huge turkey for dinner, you’ll be glad to buy a large pan.
No matter what’s inside, the pan should be big enough to allow for roasting without the food touching the sides. Plus, a large size also allows for proper air circulation when you’re roasting or browning anything.
However, you don’t want too big a pan either. A tiny amount of food in a humongous pan would mean that the bottom of the pan remains pretty much exposed. That will burn all those lovely juices that you need for your gravy.
We’d recommend getting the biggest pan possible if you can’t afford multiple sizes. This way, you’ll be able to put some vegetable chunks on the bottom to soak up the juices (it will make for a yummy side dish).
If you’re placing an order online, though, you should remember that some measurements might not include the handles. Therefore, you should measure your oven and double-check before clicking that button.
The usual shape of the best roasting pan is either oval or rectangular. Oval-shaped items like prime ribs, chicken, turkey, etc., are better suited to the oval ones. The curved corners also make it easy to whisk up the sauce or gravy at the bottom.
Rectangular pans give you more space, but make for tight corners when it comes to making sauce. If you’re lucky, you might be able to get a rectangular pan that has rounded corners. That will help you get all the benefits and convenience of both styles in one pan.
Basically, the best roasting pan should have a solid feel to it, but shouldn’t give you much trouble when you’re lifting it. You’ll be roasting and lifting heavy food items in this pan, so you should make sure it isn’t bending or swaying.
On the other hand, a thick and sturdy pan could be quite heavy to lift. It’ll also be hot, so dropping anything is simply not an option. A pan that’s too heavy is a dangerous pan.
The best roasting pan should also have some weight in order to stand the heat of your oven without twisting, warping, or bending out of shape. Solid construction also makes for distributing heat evenly to the whole meat. That’s necessary not just for cooking the roast properly, but also for making sure the juices at the bottom stay intact.
The best roasting pan used to come in enameled carbon steel, but that was a long time ago.
Now, roasting pans are available in clad stainless steel, regular stainless steel, copper, nonstick coating, aluminum, and cast iron. There are also a few other options, but let’s look at a few of the most common ones:
Copper gives great conductivity and also provides even heating. Plus, it transitions easily from the oven to the stove (not an induction one, though). However, this is an expensive option that also requires some skillful cleaning.
If you’re using it every single day, it might be worth the investment.
ii. Multi-Ply Clad
These roasting pans usually have aluminum or copper layers between two layers of stainless steel. These offer an excellent heating performance with no hot spots. Plus, they present an attractive appearance and are just as durable as solid stainless steel. Again, though, there might be some budget issues with such options.
iii. Encapsulated Bottom
Another option is the regular stainless steel with a clad bottom. That way, you get relatively lighter weight, high durability, and easy cleaning. Plus, you get the conductivity benefit from the inner disk. If you can afford the price, this is an excellent option to consider.
iv. Solid stainless steel
Getting a roasting pan made of just stainless steel is quite a popular choice for many kitchen owners. It’s lightweight, durable, and attractive. On the downside, the heat distribution isn’t that even, so there could be some burning or scorching if you’re not careful.
v. Carbon steel and enamel coating
This classic option has great conductivity and is still quite popular. The enamel will make it quick and easy to clean up after roasting, while the overall material makes for a lightweight experience. What’s even better is that this is a relatively inexpensive option.
While all of that seems delightful, you will have to be extra careful to keep the enamel from chipping if you go with this option. Also, you should make sure the steel gauge is thick enough to prevent any warping or buckling.
On its own, aluminum is lightweight and conducts heat quite well. However, we don’t really recommend such an option for roasting, as acidic ingredients can cause harmful leaching from such materials. Plus, aluminum is very sensitive to warping. It will also dent and stain easily.
vii. Anodized aluminum
Anodized aluminum will prevent the leaching from occurring, but the inside is usually of a dark color. That makes it difficult to determine what’s going on inside the oven. Basically, you get a more durable option than nonstick, but with many of the same qualities.
viii. Cast iron
If seasoned the right way, a cast iron pan will act as a safe nonstick option. Still, you need to invest a lot of time and effort into maintaining this material. If you leave it on high heat, the iron can even crack.
You can go for enameled cast iron, which easily transitions from the oven to your stovetop. You should be aware of its weight, too; any cast iron pan will be very heavy.
You’ll have to pick up these pans at their heaviest and hottest, so handles are an absolute must. That will become easier if the construction, style, shape, and material of the handles are all perfect.
The best roasting pan may also have bale handles, which simply slide up or down as needed. They don’t add to the size, so these are best for storage purposes. They can be a bit unstable if you have a heavy pan, though.
The best and safest choice seems to be large handles shaped like loops, which are firmly affixed with rivets onto the pan. These are wide and comfortable, even when you’re wearing extremely thick kitchen mitts.
If you’re fond of roasting meat, you’ll definitely want your pan to be able to work on the stovetop as well. This could help you deglaze the brown bits on the bottom and create a beautiful reduced sauce, gravy, or something similar.
If you have an induction stove, some materials won’t work on it. You can only use cast iron, enameled cast iron, clad stainless steel, and your carbon steel pans on an induction stovetop.
Overall Pricing Of This Kitchen Equipment
The pricing of the best roasting pan varies according to a lot of factors. These include the material they’re made of, their size, the brand, and many other aspects.
The most expensive kind doesn’t necessarily mean the highest quality, but a decent performance usually does mean a higher price tag. You can mostly expect to get one of the best roasting pans in a price range of $12 and $220.
How We Reviewed The Best Roasting Pan
We’ve reviewed the best roasting pans on the market according to their versatility, excellent performance, and varying price ranges. You can find something here no matter what your needs and requirements are.
These are also the best roasting pans due to their Amazon rating of at least 4 out of 5 stars. It assures us of positive user feedback, so there aren’t any really wrong choices.
Top 10 Best Roasting Pan Reviews
If you’re ready to have some delectable roasted meat, here are some of the best roasting pans on the market today:
1. Viking Culinary 4013-5016
- Includes 3-Ply Roasting Pan with Nonstick Rack
- Unique inverted handles allow the roaster to fit into ovens with ease, minimizing space versus roasters with handles extended outward
- Inverted handles make the roaster ergonomically easier to put into and take out of the oven
- Roaster can fit up to a 25 point bird and comes with a v-shaped, PFOA and PFOE free Eternal Non-Stick cooking rack
- Elevated rack helps cook food quicker and more evenly
The Viking Culinary 4013-5016 pan measures 16 inches and is a tri-ply option with a mirror finish. Its striking appearance is one of the reasons why this pan gets an Amazon rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars. Its design gives you efficiency, professional results, and even heat distribution. We especially love its riveted handles and the unique design.
However, you’re getting brilliant conductivity and curved corners for easy whisking, so we’ll say it’s worthwhile. The only drawback is that the roasting rack included here isn’t dishwasher-safe. Still, that’s not such a big deal when you look at the other amazing features.
2. KitchenAid KC1T16RP
- We love dishwashers. In fact, we encourage you to wash this roaster in the dishwasher as often as you like.
- Contoured stainless steel cast handles save space and ensure a secure comfortable grip, when placing, or taking large roasts, or turkeys in and out of the oven.
- This sturdy, easy to clean removable rack is designed to rest at the ideal height within the roaster, keeping the food cooking out of oils and excess juices.
- Our Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Roaster and Rack are ideal for heavy duty holiday use, or everyday use. Its excellence for cooking and heat retention can be used in ovens up to 500 degrees.
- Nonstick U-shaped rack allows for even heat circulation around the entire roast, for crisp browning.
The KitchenAid offering has a brilliantly large and wide tray, which can easily let you roast a few whole chickens. The nonstick rack makes for easy cleaning while the uncoated pan itself is just what we need for whisking up those delectable gravies.
The Amazon rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars assures us that users are more than happy with this pan. In fact, the reviews state that they find this an amazingly well-made, easy to clean, and pleasantly heavy option.
3. Anolon Tri-Ply Clad Rectangular Roaster
- HIGH QUALITY COOKWARE: Durable three-ply construction features an aluminum core between layers of stainless steel for excellent heat distribution up the sides of the roasting pan
- EASY TO GRIP HANDLES ON RACK: The nonstick roasting rack releases roasts effortlessly and also features handles to easily lift meats out of the roaster pan
- BRILLIANT STAINLESS STEEL ROASTING PAN: Polished, sophisticated stainless steel roasting pan exterior looks great and is easy to clean; comfortable stainless steel handles are dual riveted for strength
- HIGH HEAT PERFORMANCE, EASY TO CLEAN: Roasting pan is oven safe to 500 degrees F and dishwasher safe for convenience
- PAIRS WELL WITH OTHER ANOLON COOKWARE: This large rectangular roaster integrates beautifully with other cookware pieces in the Anolon(r) collections
The Anolon Tri-Ply Clad option can be said as the best roasting pan for roasting large birds on any special occasion. It’s deep, sturdy, and has a bent lip for easy pouring. You can properly roast or sear your delicious dishes here, with the nonstick rack providing an easy cleanup afterward.
This pan gets an Amazon rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars, which is probably due to its excellently even heating performance. Some might say that the weight isn’t too heavy, especially given the original price. However, that’s a matter of personal preference, as the pan is sturdy enough to get the job done.
4. Calphalon Contemporary Steel Roasting Pan
- A heavy-gauge aluminum core is sandwiched between 2 layers of stainless steel by means of high-heat, high-pressure impact bonding for extreme durability.
- Roasting pan, aluminum core provides superior conductivity and even heating for excellent browning and control of the cooking process. Nonporous stainless steel cooking surface is safe for use with all utensils.
- Roasting rack holds up to a 25-pound turkey. Triple-riveted handles make lifting and turning easy. Goes from oven to stove, ideal for making gravy. Nonstick V-Rack lets heat circulate, for crisp browning.
- The brushed stainless steel handles are make it easy to lift even when full. All cookware is dishwasher-safe and carries Calphalon's full lifetime warranty.
Calphalon Contemporary Steel Roasting Pan gives us a high-end experience with this steel option. It’s flat, compatible with induction stoves, and has a tri-ply construction. It’s thicker than most roasters, though not too heavy. This makes it an ideal buy for those with disabilities or who can’t lift much weight.
Its features make the Amazon rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars quite justified. The Calphalon is only good for temperatures up to 500 Fahrenheit. It’s surely enough for most recipes.
5. Wilton Recipe Right Roasting Pan
- FEED EVERYONE ON THE HOLIDAYS: The Wilton Roasting Pan is ideal for turkey, prime rib, honey hams and more. Whatever you choose to roast you’ll be sure to have enough to feed the whole family.
- LARGE CAPACITY SUITABLE FOR BIG BAKING PROJECTS: Our roasting pan measures 17 x 13 x 3 inches, so you’ll be confident that Thanksgiving Turkey or Christmas Ham will fit just right.
- NON-STICK SURFACE: Features a non-stick surface with a coating that provides a quick and clean release of your tasty treats and makes cleanup a breeze.
- USE AND CARE INSTRUCTIONS: This baking pan is dishwasher safe; however, for best results, hand wash in warm, soapy water before first and after each use. Rinse and dry thoroughly with a soft cloth. This pan is covered by Wilton's Limited 5-year warranty; see seller for further details.
- EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE, EVERY DAY: Innovative products. Mouthwatering inspiration. Fun in the kitchen. This has been at the heart of what we do for nearly 90 years. Whether you’re hosting a party or need to bring a special treat, Wilton has you covered.
If you just want a simple roasting pan that won’t break the bank, Wilton gives you a reasonable option. The material is heavy-gauge steel, giving you an even heating experience.
We can also work out the high-level performance of this pan by looking at the Amazon rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars. While this option might not be dishwasher-safe, it’s easy to wash by hand.
6. Tramontina 80203/005DS Gourmet Prima Roasting Pan
- Includes removable polished stainless steel basting grill
- Riveted, cast stainless-steel mirror-polished handles
- Broiler-safe and oven-safe up to 500°F (260°F)
- Heavy-Gauge construction from premium 18/10 stainless-steel
The Tramontina 80203/005ds roasting pan is a 16.5-inch rectangular option, with a basting grill and stainless steel construction. The handles are mirror-polished and cast stainless steel. They’re riveted to the pan, providing an easy lifting at any time.
The Amazon rating here is 4.4 out of 5 stars, which is quite decent for a roasting pan. Overall, we’d say that this well-balanced, bottom-heavy, and evenly-heating pan is a great choice for those who don’t want to go for the more expensive options.
7. Cuisinart 7117-16UR Chef’s Classic Roaster
- EXCEPTIONAL DESIGN: The Cuisinart 16-inch rectangular roaster is made with a high-performance stainless steel exterior and riveted stainless steel handles. The steel rack is large enough to handle a big Thanksgiving turkey and perfect for slow-roasting root vegetables
- STURDY & STRONG: A sturdy rack with stainless steel handles allows elevated cooking exposure for fat to drain off of food and makes removing items easy
- MEASUREMENTS: Pan measurements: 16.8” Length, 12.8” Width, 3.4” High. Handles with rack measurement: 21.1” Length, 12.8” Width, 5.8” High
- WARRANTY: Lifetime warranty
The tri-ply Cuisinart 7117 roasting pan has a stainless steel exterior, making it a beautiful addition to your kitchen. The stainless steel handles are riveted, making it easy to take the pan in and out of the oven.
Unlike many other options on this list, the rack is also stainless steel instead of nonstick. That might be a preferable option for those who don’t like nonstick stuff. With the 16 inches of space, dishwasher safety, and a limited lifetime warranty, we’re not surprised at the Amazon rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
However, you might find this option to be a bit thinner and lighter than other pans. The performance is still great, so this shouldn’t be a major issue.
8. All-Clad E752C264 Roaster
- Roast meat, poultry, and vegetables to perfection with this versatile All-Clad E752C264 Gourmet Accessories large roaster. Holding up to a 20-lb. turkey, the heavy-duty stainless-steel roasting pan features tall, straight sides, which help prevent splatters and spills, while its upright handles ensure a secure hold when transporting the pan to and from the oven, even when wearing thick oven mitts. The roaster comes with a V-shaped nonstick roasting rack that elevates large cuts of meat to promot
- Compatibility with all stovetops (except induction)
We all know the name of All-Clad when it comes to our kitchen tools, so this large roaster should assure us of the same quality. With tri-ply stainless steel construction and flat handles, we’re assured of an easy cooking and handling experience.
Since this is a well-known brand with the performance to match, it’s obvious that this pan is for those who are really serious about their roasts! The Amazon rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars lets us know that the performance is mostly great and worth the investment.
What we don’t like is that the bottom’s center is a bit raised, which doesn’t make for an even searing. It wouldn’t have an effect on roasting, though.
9. Ancient Cookware Black Clay, La Chamba Roasting Pan
- Made of natural unglazed clay and completely safe and toxins free
- Can be used on gas, electric or glass stovetops, as well as the oven, microwave, or grill
- Handcrafted by our artisans in Central Colombia
- Cooking pieces heat very evenly and retain heat for a long period
- Product information sheet included outlining the Care and Use
This classic offering from Ancient Cookware gives us a different experience from most roasting pans. It’s made of unglazed, natural clay, which is free of toxins and absolutely safe for cooking food. The cooking is even, and you can use it on several kinds of stovetops, in the oven, grill, or even the microwave.
With an Amazon rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars, we can tell that the user experience is quite satisfactory. The results of this pot are delicious and juicy, even while using fewer fats or liquids.
10. Chicago Metallic Professional Roast Pan
- EVERYDAY ROASTING PAN: This roasting pan includes an non-stick roasting rack designed to rest at the ideal height within the roaster, keeping the food cooking out of oils and excess juices; Perfect for roasting meats, poultry, fish and vegetables.
- SUPERIOR HEAT CONDUCTION AND EVEN BAKING: This pan is made from heavy-weight aluminized steel for superior heat conduction and even baking.
- NON-STICK COATING: This roasting pan set is silicone based and has a non-stick coating for ease of baking and clean up.
- MEASURMENTS: Non-stick roast pan with non-stick rack measures 13 by 9 by 2-1/4-Inch and is heat safe up to 450 degrees F (232 degrees C).
- DISHWASHER SAFE: This pan is dishwasher safe, however hand-washing is recommended to extend the product life.
This Chicago Metallic pan gives you a professional cooking experience with a nonstick coating. It measures 13 by 19 inches and is overall a great option for small roasts. This is an excellent way to economize while still getting a roasting pan.
With an Amazon rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars, we know that we’re not compromising on quality. The pan offers superior heat conduction, even heating, and is even dishwasher-safe. However, hand washing is better for making this item last longer.
The Best Roasting Pan For Preparing Tender Roasts
It might be a tough choice, but our pick for the best roasting pan would have to be the Cuisinart 7117-16UR. It’s reasonably priced and uses stainless steel from top to bottom. If you want to go for a more high-end version, the Viking option usually tops many lists regarding this area.
Don’t wait around; get one of these roasting pans and serve up a tender, mouthwatering roast at the next meal! Do you have a favorite roasting pan? Is it on our list? Let us know!