Preparing a yummy meal is therapeutic. While you’re cooking for others or yourself, you can find joy from the aromas of herbs and spices. You can relish in perfecting the delicate balance that will make your meal pop, right down to carving a delicious roast with your best ceramic knives.
From the preparation to the scents to eating, and pleasing others, cooking can be a transformative experience. There’s nothing worse than doing it all right only to fail in the presentation of your feast because you didn’t choose the best ceramic knives for your kitchen.
Top Picks: 5 Best Ceramic Knives
Ceramic Knives Overview
Maybe you’ve never heard of ceramic knives. Most people use what their mother used before them. Learning how to cook can be passed down generations as well as the tools used to bring your creations to life. Ceramic Cookware Hub shares their knowledge of the origin of the best ceramic knives through the eyes of Kyrocera who first created a ceramic blade.
The Inspiration Behind Today’s Best Ceramic Knives
The Japanese company Kyocera was the first to craft a Japanese ceramic knife. Diamonds may cut glass, but the material behind the best ceramic knives is zirconium dioxide. It’s the same material that gets used for cubic zirconia aka fake diamonds.
Creation of the Best Ceramic Knives
Making ceramic knives is nothing like making steel knives. While their ultimate end serves a similar purpose, there are a lot of differences between the two, and it starts with the material that forges the knives.
Zirconium Dioxide gets mined in Australia and then ships to the manufacturer where it’s ground into dust and mixed with water. After they fill the blade molds, and extremely hot furnace is fired up to bake and harden the blades.
Once the handles are attached, it’s time to polish and buff into the final product. It doesn’t look like a sharp, potentially dangerous knife. But although it looks to some more like a toy, it isn’t one you’d want to fall into the wrong hands.
Black or white
There are two kinds of ceramic knife blades, black and white. The black blades have gone through a hot isostatic pressing process that increases the density and strength of the blade. The ceramics industry is at the cutting edge of this technology and provides a lot of information about the differences between the two processes.
White blades, on the other hand, are often color-coded, so you know what purpose each knife serves and do not cross-contaminate your raw foods. They add a bit of whimsy to the cooking process as a result.
Care For The Best Ceramic Knives
Caring for ceramic knives is different than what you have done for your stainless steel knives all your life. Ceramic knives, while extremely sharp, can be brittle, so it’s important never to use them for a purpose for which they are not intended.
Hand-wash your best ceramic knives. You don’t need to do more because they are non-porous and bacteria resistant and never rust, but adding the knives to the dishwasher could put them in harms way by flying debris and some warping of the blade by the very hot water.
Leave boning, cutting frozen foods and hard cheeses to your steel knives. The brittle nature of the ceramic knives, while incredibly sharp and perfect for slicing and cutting, leaves them open to chipping.
The best ceramic knives will need relatively little sharpening over time. Because they’re harder than standard knives, ceramic knives are known to retain their sharp edges about ten times longer than their counterparts.
But if you do want to sharpen your ceramic knives, you will need a diamond-coated knife sharpener, or you can send them off to the manufacturer for a day at the spa. Many reputable brands offer free lifetime sharpening services as a perk of ceramic knives.
ii. Storage and protection
We highly recommend that you store your ceramic knives in a bamboo knife block. Most ceramic knife sets arrive with protective covers to that if you cannot block your knives, at least they will not be prone to damage by surrounding utensils.
The Best Ceramic Knives vs. The Best Stainless Steel Knives
Each type of knife has its purpose. Ceramic knives will chop and slice, take advantage of its non-porous nature and aversion to stains and odors to make simple work of laborious tasks in the kitchen.
The best steel knives will be more of an all-around knife that you use for hard foods and when you don’t want to handwashing your utensils. There is an in-depth discussion on Japana Home about what works and what doesn’t when it comes to the best ceramic knives, and we have culled some of the facts you should know.
1. Benefits of Ceramic Knives
No matter the cost or manufacturer, ceramic knives are incredibly hard and wickedly sharp. They retain their sharpness ten times longer than their metal counterparts.
They are odor, stain, and bacteria resistant because they are non-porous making them the ideal choice for acidic or caustic substances. Once you have a set, you should always use ceramic for citrus fruits and tomatoes, for example. Being non-porous also makes ceramic knives very easy to clean. You can just run them under cold water!
2. Benefits of Metal Knives
While metal knives may be susceptible to rust, there is no getting around the fact that they are the superior all-around knife for the kitchen thanks to their ability to take on even the densest materials without chipping.
Making the Decision
When deciding which of the best ceramic knives is best for you, you can weigh many factors. Consider the sharpness of the blade and finding a knife that is well-balanced and easy to control. Ceramic knives are very light.
The type of handle on the knife will also aid in your decision-making process. If you’re doing a lot of work with your ceramic knives, then you’ll want an ergonomically sound grip that doesn’t slip when wet.
Know what you’ll be doing so you can determine if you need one stellar ceramic knife or a set of the best ceramic knives for every purpose. And don’t forget to compare prices. Being the best doesn’t necessarily mean costing the most.
Before you rush out to buy a set of knives, know why you’re buying them and for what purpose. Every kitchen could benefit from both a set of ceramic knives and a set of steel knives.
Considerations Before Taking The Plunge
There are some facts specific to ceramic knives that you should take into consideration before making your purchase, sure, but you should also know what you will be doing with the knives and fully understand their limitations.
You Want the Best Ceramic Knives
You want the best ceramic knives if you want precision slicing and cuts from vegetables, boneless meats, fish, and bread. They’re stain and odor resistant, do not rust, and are impervious to acid and caustic substances.
When to be Wary of Buying Ceramic Knives
You might be wary of purchasing the best ceramic knives if you mostly cut boned meats, hard cheeses, and frozen foods. If you’re a bit clumsy, dropping a ceramic knife could be the end of it.
Thankfully, a lot of attention gets paid to grip and control of ceramic knives because of their superior sharpness, so ceramic knife manufacturers are already thinking about your safety.
The Best Ceramic Knives To Purchase
Now that you know how ceramic knives came into existence and why you should consider the class of ceramic knives as a whole, it’s time to whittle down the ever-expanding field of purchase options for you.
How We Chose Our Recommendations
The knives listed below are some of the most highly recommended across the board. Folks like you and me have already gone through the buying process and made the leap to ceramic knives. Cooks use them continually.
First-hand reviews get weighed heavily as well as the input from the professionals who use and study the best ceramic knives while working.
1. VOOV Ceramic Knife Set – Contemporary
This set offers 5 ceramic knives including a 7-inch all-purpose chef’s knife for chopping, dicing, mincing, and slicking, a 6-inch serrated knife for bread, a 5-inch Santoku knife in the Asian style, a 4-inch paring knife for fruits and vegetables, a knife block and protective sheaths for blade protection.
These knives are 100 percent ceramic and feature a minimalist design. The bonus block and cutting mat help elevate this set above its competitors. This set receives an Amazon 4.6 out of 5 rating with 151 reviews cast.
2. Kyocera Innovation 2-Pc Knife Set
- Gift set includes an innovation 6” chef’s Santoku and a 4.5” Utility knife.
- Made from Kyocera very own proprietary zirconia material produced in Japan for exceptional quality and beauty
- Ultra-sharp, extremely hard advanced ceramic blade that maintains its sharpness 2x Longer than kyocera’s traditional ceramic blades
- Lightweight and easy to clean, the ceramic blades will not brown nor transfer any metallic taste to food
- A unique, soft-touch ergonomic handle shape Fits comfortably in the hand for safe handling and control
The Kyocera set features a black blade that has been forged longer for increased strength. Kyocera, the originator of the first ceramic knives, makes quality knives. These feature a unique, soft-touch ergonomic handle for safe handling and increased control. This set receives an Amazon rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
3. Vos Ceramic Knife
- Cuts Effortlessly - slice dice and cut fruits and vegetables and boneless meats
- Stays sharper for longer - retains its original sharpness up to 15 times longer than steel blades
- Makes difficult cutting easy - the knife set is light, with a well balanced and controlled grip
- Easy to clean - rust proof and stainless, after using simply rinse the blade with water
- Package Includes 3 - Ceramic Knives 3", 4", 6" with 4 Protective Sheaths / 1 Ceramic Peeler / elegant Box
These knives are designed to complement, not replace, your other cutlery. The Vox set features knives with a flashy, red, well-balanced and controlled grip. The set receives a 4.3 out of 5 rating on Amazon.
Although one reviewer said the set was “okay for the money,” that’s because they were careless with the blade and chipped one too soon after purchase. Reviewers also appreciate the elegant box, some to the point they’ve not allowed themselves to open it and test the knives.
4. Cuisinart 12 Piece Nonstick Color Knife Set
- Knife set is 6 knives and 6 knife covers,High-quality stainless steel blades
- Non-stick color coating for easy slicing
- Color coding helps you to remember what knife was used during food prep for different types of food.
- Comes with matching blade guards and ergonomic handles
- Set Includes: 8" Chef Knife, 8" Slicing Knife, 8" Serrated Bread Knife, 7" Santoku Knife, 6.5" Utility Knife, 3.5" Paring Knife
The Cuisinart set provides the best of both worlds. The blade is stainless steel with a non-stick ceramic coating for both strength and precision. The set includes an 8-inch chef knife and a 7-inch Santoku knife. This overwhelmingly popular set receives a 4.6 out 5 rating from Amazon customers.
5. Shenzhen Ceramic Knife Set – 3-Piece
- 3 PIECE CERAMIC KNIFE SET: includes our 6.5" Chef's Knife, 5" Slicing Knife and 4" Paring Knife. To sharpen and maintain our knives, use our Shenzhen Knives Electric Diamond Wheel Knife Sharpener
- WILL NOT RUST: Ceramic is resistant to acids, grime and oils and easy to clean.
- STAY SHARPER LONGER THAN STEEL KNIVES: Harder than steel and will hold edge longer than a steel blade, so you don't need to sharpen as often.
- PRECISION SLICING: Our blades are made for precision slicing of soft meats and soft fruits & vegetables. Not for bones, breads, hard surfaces, cheeses and hard/frozen foods. Refrain from carving, striking, and smashing
- REINFORCED BLADE AND REDESIGNED HANDLE: Based on user feedback, we reinforced our blade and redesigned the handle to address any blade issues (update: 2015).
This cost-effective set includes a 6.5-inch chef’s knife, 5-inch slicing knife, and 4-inch paring knife. The company makes them from a proprietary blend of the highest quality zirconia and forged using the Cold Isostatic Pressing process (CIP). This set doesn’t include sheaths, so it would be worth purchasing their knife block, too.
Afterward, it gets superheated making this set of the best ceramic knives sharper, harder, stronger, and very beautiful. The 3-knife set that cuts “like butter” is rated 4.4 out of 5 from Amazon customers.
6. Coiwin Ceramic Knife Set
- STAYS SHARP LONGER THAN STAINLESS STEEL KNIVES: These ceramic knives are made of zirconia, which is second in hardness only to diamond. They are substantially harder than stainless steel knives and retain their sharp cutting edge up to ten times longer than steel knives. Unlike steel knives, ceramic knives do not need to be regularly resharpened.
- LIGHTWEIGHT, ERGONOMIC CUTLERY: Even though ceramic knives are harder than traditional steel kitchen knives, they are also lighter. In fact, these ceramic knives are half the weight of most metal knives. Additionally, our knives have an ergonomic, arched handle, giving you excellent grip and control while cutting boneless meat, bread, fruits, and vegetables.
- COMES WITH SAFETY COVERS: These knives are extremely sharp. For safety purposes, we’ve included four sheaths that fit snugly over each knife, preventing any accidental contact with the blades. Each blade cover is a different size, designed specifically to fit the unique shape of its corresponding blade. When not in use, store these professional knives with their sheaths in place.
- NON-REACTIVE BLADES: Ceramic knives have unique properties that make them resistant to oils and acids. Because of this, they are especially well suited for slicing boneless meat, vegetables, fruits, and bread. These knives are rustproof and stain resistant, and they won’t absorb any food elements. This means that the original taste, smell, and color of your food will be preserved after cutting.
- VERSATILE KITCHEN COMBO SET: This set of black ceramic cutlery comes with four different kitchen knives: a six-inch bread knife with a serrated edge and French-style point, a six-inch chef’s knife with triangular point, a five-inch utility knife with a triangular point, and a four-inch fruit knife with a triangular point.
This four-knife set comes with sheaths, and it is Super Sharp and rustproof and stain resistant. You’ll get a 6-inch bread knife, 6-inch chef knife, 5-inch utility knife, and 4-inch fruit knife to meet the needs of your busy kitchen.
The set scores a 4.1 out of 5 rating on Amazon. Phrases such as “I wasn’t expecting such quality for the price,” and “meets my expectations” abound.
7. Chopmate Kitchen Knife Set
- High-Quality Pure Stainless Steel Blades
- Ceramic Coating for Easy Non-Stick Slicing
- Color Coding Helps You to Reduce the Risk During Food Preparation
- 8" Chef Knife, 8" Bread Knife, 8" Slicer Knife, 5.2" Cheese Knife, 5" Utility Knife, 4" Pizza Knife, 3.5" Paring Knife, Peeler
- Lifetime Warranty
Sometimes color-coating isn’t enough (and who has the time to coordinate when cooking?). This Chopmate set goes so far as to write the purposes of each of its best ceramic knives right on the blade. That makes it a little bit more fun than other sets.
Like the Cuisinart set, this one offers the best of both worlds in knives by coupling a stainless steel set with ceramic coating. But it still includes an 8-inch chef knife, an 8-inch bread knife, an 8-inch vegetable slicer knife, a 5.2-inch cheese knife, a 5-inch utility knife, a 4-inch pizza knife, and a 3.5-inch paring knife.
All of this leads to a rating of 4.3 out of 5 from customers who have reviewed the product on Amazon.
8. Kikusumi Black Ceramic Collection 6-Knife Set
- SHARP LIGHT PRECISE: NEW! Improved durability with rounded knife tips. Each Black Ceramic blade contains our special proprietary blend of ultra-premium quality zirconium oxide making them harder than steel. Knife edge is ground to a double bevel then sharpened to a precise 11-13 ° angle. Perfect balance and knuckle clearance between the blade and handle. Black blades are fired at temperatures above 2700°F and stay razor sharp 10 times longer than steel blades.
- ERGONOMIC HANDLE: The ambidextrous knife handle is designed to fit the human hand comfortably - for either left or right hand cutting. The ergonomic shape is based on traditional Japanese design and features flowing contours that hug the curves of the hand. Finished with a soft tactile grip that prevents slipping even when wet and facilitates the cutting motion. Lightweight make it easy to use for elderly users.
- INTELLIGENT DESIGN: The 6-Piece Home Chef Knife Gift Set Bundle contains knives for different jobs: 7 inch Chef Knife + 5.5 inch Nakiri + 5.5 inch Santoku + 5 inch mini Santoku + 4 inch Paring + 3 inch Paring + 6 custom knife sheaths. Blade tips are rounded for safety and durability. Designed for beautifully slicing boneless proteins and vegetables.
- LUXURY GIFT BOX: Knife blades undergo a second firing to emblazon them with an exclusive red Kikusumi logo that adds artisan luxury to the minimalist design. Laser engraved Kikusumi signature logo and packaged in an original design magnetic gift boxed knife set that creates a memorable gift opening experience.
- 100% GUARANTEED - The Kikusumi Platinum Warranty guarantees 100% satisfaction with a Lifetime Warranty against defects. We believe in our products & we want to build your trust. Handwash only - not for use in dishwashers. Not for frozen foods. These are ideal knives for slicing choice cuts of boneless meat, fish, poultry, fruit and vegetables.
This set includes a 7-inch chef knife, a 5.5-inch Santoku knife, a 5-inch mini Santoku knife, a 4-inch paring knife, a 3-inch paring knife and 6 protective sheaths snuggled inside a luxury gift box with a choice of black or red handles, to boot.
Most offers for the best ceramic knives suggest staying away from kitchen tasks. The Kikusumi Santoku knife claims to slice right through a cob of corn. That’s after the paring knife takes care of the husk and threads and the chef knife slices the corn from the cob, of course.
Amazon Cust Kikusumi knives are highly rated in the world of cooking but have not been the top choice among Amazon customers due to their higher price. If you’re looking for ceramic knives that working chefs use, this could be your set. One Amazon customer and professional cook rated this set 5 stars out of 5.
9. Cook N Home 9-Piece Ceramic Knife Set
- Includes: 6 in. santoku chef’s, 5 in. utility, 4 in. fruit, 3 in. paring knives with sheaths, and a peeler
- Knives are sharp, rarely need sharpening, and harder than regular steel
- No metallic taste and non-reactive when cutting delicate foods
- Blades are easy to clean, balanced, hygienic, and look great
- Multipurpose for slicing boneless meats, fruits, vegetables, etc.
This multicolor set includes a 6-inch Santoku knife, a 4-inch fruit knife, a 3-inch paring knife all with sheaths and a bonus peeler. Corresponding knives make short work of slicing vegetables. The ceramic peeler glides over fruits and vegetables efficiently ridding them of their outer skins.
Amazon customers rate this set of best ceramic knives 4.1 out of 5 with 403 reviews cast. They also note even their most careless kitchen procedures haven’t damaged these continually-sharp knives.
10. Chefcoo Kitchen Knife Set
- Includes kitchen knifes, sharpener, magnetic knife holder set - this two-piece set consists of Paring knife, utility knife, carving knife, chef's knife, bread knife, cheese knife, pizza knife, professional knife sharpener and a magnetic knife holder.
- Non-slippery grippy handle Fits perfectly into the curve of your hand - easy to clean and dishwasher safe. The ergonomically designed hollowed polypropylene (PP) hygiene and , CE/EU, FDA, SGS certification.
- Two sharpening modes and knife holder features - there are two sharpening modes - a coarse sharpener for blunt knives to be used every 6 months or so and a fine sharpener for regular use and maintenance. Have your knives stylish displayed.
- Equipped with the essential knives that every cook or chef needs - the knives are suitable from cutting meat and fish to chopping fruits, vegetables and even herbs. And the pizza knife will easily replace your pizza cutter with it's precision and sharpness.
- Full one year Full refund or replacement - If you are not satisfied with this Chefcoo 9-Piece kitchen knife set, we will provide a full one year refund or replacement without any questions asked! Click "add to cart" Now.
This set addresses your wishes to read your best ceramic knives instead of color coding. It also recognizes that you should lose the ability to use a cutlery bar when making a ceramic knife purchase. With a bit of metal on the handle, they can hang on the wall with their steel brothers. This set includes a knife bar and a knife sharpener.
The Chefcoo also features a non-slip grip that fits perfectly into the curve of your hand. The set rates 4.4 out of 5 stars by Amazon customers. The set includes all the knives to suit your kitchen needs plus two bonus pieces.
Now Is The Time To Buy The Best Ceramic Knives
Now you know what ceramic knives offer in precision, durability, style, extras, and cost. It’s time for you to make the leap and purchase your first set of complementary ceramic knives for your home.
You can find the best ceramic knives at many different price points and with styles to fit any décor. They’re ultimately a cost-effective and time-saving kitchen utensil that you’ll soon wonder how you’ve ever made it without them.